Examples of items that are exempt from permitting include:
• One-story detached residential accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.
• Fences not ever 6 feet high.
• Retaining walls that are not over four feet high (48”) measured from the bottom of footing to top of wall.
• Sidewalks and driveway paving.
• Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting,cabinets, countertops, and similar finish work.
• Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep
• Swings and other playground equipment
• Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
If you are unsure whether your project requires a permit or not, call the Planning and Building Department at 509-382-4676.